Thursday, December 19, 2019

Christmas letter i.e. Best of 2019


Merry Christmas Loved ones!

We hope this letter finds you well J.
Bobby continues to be a Youth Pastor.  Adriel is slogging through Community College and two jobs.  Seth is a Junior at West High school.  I want to share highlights from this year that will make us both laugh.  I read through my diary and picked out the best of:
Bobby gleefully told me he watched the cat walk on my face while I was sleeping.  I slept right through it.  Cats bring joy to everyone don’t they?
Sometimes I love helping at youth group because I know I did well.  Sometimes I enjoy that Bobby thanks me.  Sometimes I simply enjoy the comedy gold.  One week Bobby was telling the youth to, “Be kind to your parents even though they make mistakes.  You also make mistakes.”  Someone from the crowd shouted, “I’m a mistake.”
Teaching Seth to drive is good.  He is a sweetheart.  I was trying to make conversation.  I wanted to know if he found anything funny that day.  I asked, “Anything funny happen at school?” No.  “Was anyone funny at your school?  Even just looking at them?”  Seth violently reacted and asked if I was a bully.  Oh dear – I didn’t mean it that way.  Good for Seth to tell me to be a better person.
I told Bobby he was the best.  He announced to Seth, “Did you hear that Seth?  I am the best!”  Bobby wanted to share the glorious feeling.  Seth said, “Title has been revoked due to bragging.”
Bobby made several wonderful meals this week (including Valentine's dinner).  We talked about the imperfect fruit delivery service.  We decided not to try it because our family does not eat large amount of fresh fruit or veggies.  If only they had a service for imperfect cookies . . .
Entertainment is looking at what is free on Craigslist.  My favorite so far has been “Stinky the Goat.”  I mentioned to Seth, “There is a free Emu on Craigslist!  We ‘need’ an Emu!”  Seth said, “Wasn’t there a war against Emu’s?”  What???  I had to look this up.  In 1932 Australia declared war on Emu’s and lost.  “They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus.”  ("New Strategy In A War On The Emu"Sunday Herald. 5 July 1953. p. 13.).  I asked Seth how in the world he knew about this.  YouTube has videos.  Seth enjoys YouTube videos.  I looked it up on Wikipedia.  It’s true – it’s online!  Sooooo, no free Emu for us.
Adriel did attack hug me the other day.  She ran away saying, “That’s my hug for the day – you can’t have anymore.”  It was playful and adorable.  I never imagined that I would miss my kids while they still lived with me.  A mother of teens told me she missed her kids when I had little ones.  I thought that was ridiculous – she could just go hug them if they still lived with her.  Sigh – nope, now I understand her feelings..  Teens have a habit of fleeing.
Bobby and I were eating together at the dining table alone.  I said, “Well, here it is, our future.  We are eating alone together.  Just us.”  Bobby had to interject, “And Seth.”  At this, I did have to laugh.  Yes, Seth was five feet away from us – on his computer.  He was doing homework quietly.  We probably will have our quiet son for a while.
I enjoyed some drama one weekend.  Bobby and I were taking a walk in the park when we saw the Kravitz family.  They are so full of life and fun!  The kids are pre-school and grade school age.  Bobby was teasing Elsie by taking her scooter.  Her dad yelled out, “Hey, that man is stealing your scooter!”  Bobby began to ride away on the ‘stolen’ goods.  He got about 15 feet away when a small boy Kindergarten age ran up and attacked him.  Bobby thought it was big brother so he hammed it up and fell with exaggerated moans.  Meanwhile, the stranger’s parents were alarmed.  They had no clue why their little boy attacked. The boy gave Elsie her scooter back and several of us clapped for the little one. He raised his arms in the sky, victor over evil.  He was so brave.
                Bobby brought home one doughnut that had been sitting in the hot car for a while.  I tried to eat it but the frosting came off so I left the naked item in the doughnut box.  Seth came over with, “So there is no frosting on it?”  He seemed willing to eat anything in a doughnut box.  Then he saw and said, “It’s not even a doughnut any more.  It is just a sad bagel.”  He left it.
Bobby volunteered at Adriel’s graduation party.  After an all-night extravaganza, he plopped into bed at 5 A.M. excited and chatty.  “I could have gone on all night.  It was great.”  I believe he is either crazy or amazingly gifted.  It probably takes both to work with youth.  Bobby is a true extrovert.
When I asked why the bag of sugar was on the counter Adriel mentioned, “Did you know that 2 cups of sugar a day is good for you?”  I told her I have never heard that and I did not believe it.  Her response.  “Well, this is awkward.”
Seth put a sticky note on his computer screen.  It said, “HDMI cable.”  I thought I would be helpful and put a cable on his desk.  His response, “The cable you put on my desk is so retro I don’t even know what kind it was.”  Apparently, I need to learn my coaxial cables from my HDMI.
                Seth enjoys it when Bobby and I go out because we bring home food.  He began to dig into soup but it was too spicy.  I told him milk would help and he said, “I’ll never drink milk.”  A couple of seconds later, “We don’t even have any milk do we?”  Then it was, “OK, I’ll drink some.” 
And so, life goes on.  As the children grow into adults we find their hugs to be precious and their presence to be a cameo appearance.  Living and loving continues. 
OH, I was able to publish several books this year!  I am excited to announce they are for sale on eBay or Amazon.com; Star’s ‘First Kiss’, Star in Space and Star’s Big Fight.  How fun to obey God and find joy in spreading His love through the written word. 
May this season bring you joy.  May you find love in year heart for all you encounter.  May God’s peace abound and His light shine bright.  Much Love,



Cristy for the VanKleeks

PS, thanks to Chris for taking the picture :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment