Sunday, December 23, 2018

2018 Christmas Letter

Dear Loved ones,

How fun and wonderful to reflect on the year.  How amazing that you might find our lives interesting.  I’ll give a brief synopsis for each person in our family then I’ll list the funniest things that happened in no specific order because I love to laugh and I believe you will also.
Bobby is 45 and still loves his job as Youth Pastor at West Hills Community church.  Even though we have been here 11 years he continues to enjoy working with youth and helping them figure out life.  A highlight for him this year was going to a reunion for a church we went to in 1995.  Sonrise Baptist church took Bobby in while he went to college.  The people there drove him to church then a person from the church gave him a car.  One person helped him get a job, and everyone loved him.  Bobby spent a summer living with the youth pastor and interned.  I enjoyed Bobby thanking people for their influence and for all they did.   He was very excited to see several youths.  Our reception tickled me.  Mary Beth and James Gleason were amazing hosts.  Seeing old friends gives me longing for Heaven.  The reception will be similar.
Adriel is 17 and a senior in High School.  A highlight of her year was being in the West Salem Band.  They went to Hawaii during spring break and then made history by being the first Oregon band to compete in Bands of America Grand Nationals in November.  They placed 27th out of 108.  Adriel was glad they didn’t have to do Finals because then she was able to SLEEP!
Adriel was also accepted into the college she wants to go to, Western Oregon University.  They sent her a scholarship and are excited to have her come.  How fun!
Seth is 15 now and a Sophmore in High School.  He is not enjoying learning to drive but is learning anyway.  A highlight of his year was acquiring a new gaming computer and “Meeting friends online.” 
Seth said yes to a ministry opportunity!  Bobby and I were so proud of him for doing an excellent job with the power point during a Sunday morning service last January.  Yeah J.  Go, Seth.  He’s started at age 14 and has been on rotation ever since then.
I am Cristy VanKleek.  I’m 43 now and glad to be where God has me as a lunch lady.  A highlight of my year was publishing my second book, Star’s ‘First Kiss’.  I have learned a lot through the process and am excited about what God has for me.  I’ll look into going to a book fair or two this summer.
Now on to what made me laugh this year:
Bobby texted me saying, “I’m making French soup, is there anything else you want me to make with it?”  I had to reply with, “French bread, French dressing, French Fries.”  Bobby was tickled with the Better Off Dead reference and mentioned it several times. 

            I was driving both kids home, and Adriel mentioned that the reason her computer isn’t working is that the internal clock is overclocked (or something odd like that).  I remembered aloud about Y2K and how everyone was worried all computers would die because the date was turning from 1999 to 2000.  People stocked up on food and water.  Seth said, “That is dumb.”  Then I mentioned how people also thought the world would end because the Mayan calendar ended.  Such terror.  Seth said, “Isn’t Mayan just a brand?” 
            Adriel was able to babysit at our house one day.  It was fun to hear chipmunk voices.  Little ones are so dramatic!  I enjoyed hearing Adriel in the parental role saying, “Calm down,” or, “I’m going to fix your food now.”  She’s a great caretaker, and the kids love her – although one did say, “I love my blanket so much, I even love it more than you!”
            Seth was playing games with friends online, and I had the Guardians of the Galaxy on loud while I worked in the kitchen.  He is located closer, so it was loud enough for his friends online to hear.  Seth said, “If you hear yelling, it’s a movie, not my parents.”  I had to add, “If you hear gunshots it’s also the movie, not your parents.” 
            Adriel was having fun talking to a friend about what was going on at home.  She mentioned that I am a church librarian.  Her friend said, “Isn’t there only one book?” 
            Seth helped his grade by baking a “Depression-era” cake.  It was made with ingredients like bacon drippings, raisins and grape juice.  We thought it would be disgusting but I liked it!  Seth’s favorite part was that I bought bacon (for the drippings).  He said, “No matter how the cake tastes we have bacon, so it’s a win-win.”
I have a joke I heard from Sunday school.  Thanks, Hal Washburn.  A professor asked the class to look out the window.  “Do you see the birds?”  The class replied affirmatively.  “Do you see the trees?”  The class also said, “Yes.”  Then he said, “Do you see God?”  The class responded, “No.”  And the professor said, “That’s because there is no God.”  A student responded with, “Do you see the professors tie?”  The class said, “Yes.”  “Do you see his shoes?”  The class also said, “Yes.”  Then he said, “Do you see his brain?” 
Adriel said wants a piranha even though we won’t get her one.  I mentioned sarcastically, “And some people think cats will kill us.”  She said, “I don’t want a piranha to pet it!” 
I asked Seth if he would walk with me.  I used the excuse, “You are big and strong and you can help me stay safe.”  He said, “I am not strong, I am weak and I am not brave.  I would just run away if someone attacked us.”  I answered with, “In that case, I am faster and they would get you, not me.”  He countered with his dry wit, “So now I’m a sacrifice.”
Adriel has a very amazing ability.  She sleep obeyed.  I woke her up for church one morning and asked her to sign a card.  She did so and I left for church.  Later I heard she was frustrated that she woke up late???  Apparently, she had no recollection of signing the Birthday card and slept through the entire process!  Maybe I should have her do more while she is asleep!
Adriel felt very encouraged by Jerry one day this week.  She was introduced to him Tuesday morning and “Developed such a tight bond over these past couple hours; he helped me stay hyped up and focused when it came to marching out in the hot sun.”  Jerry was a praying mantis that hung out on her horn and her hand. 
I truly enjoy the time I have teaching Seth to drive.  At the age where kids don’t talk much, we have great conversations like this: As he drives by a school for making wine.  Me: Who would have guessed there’s a school for making wine.  Seth: Everyone who studies making wine.  Or Me: Oh, a cross on the side of the road means someone died here.  Seth: Mom, don’t scare me any more than I already am!
At Youth Group the youth were chatty, happy to be there and rowdy.  They were supposed to be quiet and attentive to the message.  As a quieting technique, Bobby said, “I think I’ll give some candy corn to the people that are quiet.”  He bent down to grab some from the bag with his eyes on the task.  By the time he had a handful and had stood up the entire room was dead quiet.  Bobby then said, “Or I’ll just eat some myself.”  A youth leaned over to me and said, “This isn’t like the Oprah Winfrey show.”
Bobby is the cook in our family.  One day Seth went back for seconds and Bobby was so pleased that Seth thought the food was good.  Seth’s response was, “Dad, your food is always good.  I just don’t always like it.”  This response reminds me of God and his gifts.  They are always good, BUT we don’t always like them.
The greatest gift we celebrate is Jesus.  When God chose to redeem us by letting Jesus die for us it was a great sacrifice on His part and on Jesus’ part.  We are truly blessed when we realize how much we are loved.  May you feel peace as you discover anew God’s love for you.  Hugs,


Cristy VanKleek

No comments:

Post a Comment