Sunday, April 1, 2018

I am Against Violent Vidoe Games

4/1/18 Dear Family,  When the Bible talks about violence, it says,  “The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence Psalm 11:5 ESV.”  I believe saying you love to play violent video games is saying you love violence.  I also believe it is wrong to love violence even the way I do – even if it’s ridiculous and impossible.  I am wrong to like watching a woman beat up on a man – this is what I will confess is wrong about me.

I believe that giving hours to gaming – especially so many hours that it’s hard to wake up Sunday morning is wrong.  This means the focus is wrong.  The Bible says Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things Philippians 4:8 ESV.” 

If we choose to spend our time asking God what he wants us to do, then we would be doing things better.  The Bible says to Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is Ephesians 5:15-17 ESV.”  Colossians 3:1-3 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”

If we let ourselves sit before the TV and play violent games for hours, I believe we are going against Gods will.  It’s about focus; it’s about time, it’s about little choices that turn into habits.  Psalm 119:37 ESV says “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things, and give me life in your ways.”  Can we say, “I checked off my God time today now I can do what I want to do?”  Isn’t all time God’s?  I know it feels like we have accomplished much if we did devotions but we can take those thoughts and continue them throughout the day.    

            I wouldn’t have to bring this up if it was only occasionally that people played games.  I wouldn’t have to bring this up if it wasn’t hours at a time but sometimes it is hours, and sometimes a person says they will do one thing but gets sidetracked by video games.  Or sometimes a person doesn’t say they will do anything – that person gets any task done quickly because the entire focus is getting things done so they can play games.  I have heard we could tell what an idol is if someone takes it away.  The Bible says 1 John 5:21 ESV “Little children, keep yourselves from idols.”  If video games weren’t an idol then telling the family to refrain for one day a week wouldn’t lead to a fight.

            Even that a person is willing to fight for video games shows to me that they need to refocus.  1 John 2:15-17 ESV “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.”  It is not right to have to fight for time to focus more on God? 

            Do you think one could ever say (in good conscience), “Playing violent video games brings me closer to God?”  That’s ridiculous.  So think about it – shouldn’t we, 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 “ test all things. Hold on to what is good. Stay away from every kind of evil.”  Proverbs 6:27 “Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned?”  Proverbs 4:23 Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life.
I don’t believe playing any video game is a sin.  I do believe that there are way better things that a Christian should be doing in their spare time. Things such as getting to know God better through prayer and in His Word.  I know we can’t do that every minute of every day and I know we do need some downtime.  So, yes, having an hour or two a day to wind down is fine but if a person’s entire focus is, “How fast can I get this done so I can go back to gaming?”  Or, maybe, “I don’t need a job – I have gaming.”  For those who are younger kids, then yes, educational games can be wonderful!  But for people who need to be productive in society – then gaming should be limited.  And I truly believe Sunday is a good day to take one day off – maybe not for your family, but this is what I wish for mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment