Monday, December 25, 2017

12/25/17

Dear Family,

Merry Christmas!!  I just read a great book that introduced the concept of God’s sacrifice.  Losing a child is hard.  I can only imagine the loss Jesus and God felt when Jesus came to earth.  Philippians 2:6-8 New International Version (NIV) says about Jesus that although he is in the 6b “very nature[a] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
        even death on a cross!

We rejoice because their great sacrifice is our gain.  Our library will hold the book “There’s a Sheep in my Bathtub” by Brian Hogan as soon as I put laminate on it. 
Choosing to ponder the significance of God’s great sacrifice is the least we can do.  We are blessed to have our church facilitate these thoughts with a fantastic Christmas Eve service at West Hills Community Church.  I always find lighting candles to be significant and beautiful.  We met a person named Ben who will be deployed soon to be in a submarine for three months at a time.  That he joined our family for communion was special.  That he complimented Adriel on her voice was sweet. 
            How fun to celebrate and enjoy parties!  All year I enjoy looking for white elephant gifts at the Union Gospel Mission for the Youth Group White Elephant exchange.  This year I truly enjoyed going to the party and seeing the reception of the presents.  The youth fought over a Gorilla Mask and large Sperm Whale that squirted water.  I love to laugh and laugh we did.
            We also enjoyed a party with our Homegroup.  How fun it is to gather and enjoy each other’s company.  How yummy it is to share snacks and time.
            Bobby has been a dear this week.  I enjoyed watching Star Wars with him on Monday.  He is good company, and I am glad we are still in love after 21 years.  Bobby also let me into the church to do some library work this week.  I am having a wonderful time putting laminate on books to make them more durable.  It is nice that Bobby can be there for me even when the church is empty. 
            Bobby cooked a fantastic meal for us.  We were able to visit with Mom Webb, Dad VanKleek, his girlfriend Sandy and Caren VanKleek.  It was nice to eat yummy food, and open Christmas presents with them.

            Bobby rescued me from my silliness.  We usually keep the kitten out of our room because of the dead mouse incident.  One night I didn’t.  While I was sleeping, I felt something very soft and tiny next to my pillow.  I gasped with enthusiastic emotion but didn’t wake up because I figured out it was Ripley's paw.  Bobby was coherent enough to get up and put her outside.  My hero.
            Adriel smiled at me for a picture.  Her smile is special now because I usually get frowns or silly faces.  Teens! 
Adriel also cracks me up.  Bobby invited youth over to our house impromptu.  Adriel heard of this and vacated immediately.  Apparently, she is allergic to Junior High kids.  She can handle the 4-5-year-olds.  Adriel just isn’t called to help with the Junior High group at this time in her life. 
            Seth and Adriel helped clean!  They are a blessing when they do what I tell them to do without complaining. 
            Before relatives came over, Gbod showed me how blessed we are.  As I cleaned, I felt lead to pray for refugees who had to leave all their stuff behind.  God wanted me to know that cleaning is not horrible – cleaning shows I am taken care of and truly blessed.

            That God came down and slept in a manger does show how much we do not need “stuff” to survive.  I know there are people cold and hungry today.  I am thrilled Caren gave “Chickens” to people in need for me.  We can only do so much.  Isn’t it wonderful that God is in control and not us?  I can pray for those in need and give to God’s work; I can do my part.  God, who is love, is in control.  He says, “29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[a] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”  Matthew 10:29-31 New International Version (NIV)

God cares, He is in control, He has sacrificed and continues to be involved in our lives.  He came down as a baby.  He sacrificed all, and we are free to celebrate His love.  May you feel his blessing in your life.  May you rejoice in His grace.  May your heart be full this Christmas season no matter how much “Stuff” you have or don’t have.  May you know the most important gift of all is Jesus Christ, come down to earth.


Much Love,

Cristy



No comments:

Post a Comment