Saturday, December 23, 2017

Christmas letter 2017

Merry Christmas,
            How beautiful it is to share life with each other and celebrate the birth of baby Jesus.
            I enjoyed looking through my journal for this year to highlight the things that made us laugh or were interesting.  May they bring you joy.
Visiting Newport as a family this year was delightful especially since our expectations were meagre.  Seth was especially glad to find out that the Wax museum was much more interesting than he imagined.  He thought it would just be pieces of wax.  I teased him, “And over here is some ear wax circa 1945.”
Adriel wanted to revisit the “Now she can date because she’s 16” rule this year.  She wanted to know if this meant she could have a boyfriend.  Oh boy, Bobby’s heart rate rose, he had a lot of trouble with this.  He said, “Well, I don’t know about that.  Maybe, if you want to have a significant other or a special friend, only date in groups.”  Sigh – She wants to respect his wishes and said she would.  Meanwhile, I feel frustrated!  For crying out loud – I just want to know the guy's name!!!  I made Bobby say it, “Say, Boyfriend.”  He did, but was pleading, “Can’t you wait another year?”  I know his first kiss was at the age of 21 and that this is good, it is a good thing.  I guess he’s right.
            Adriel cracked me up one week.  She was angry because her hair was pretty, she had to go to marching band, and it was raining outside.  How could her hair do this to her on a day where it would just get ruined.  Oh, the angst of being a teen.
I baked some yummy food.  Seth asked, “What is that for?”  When I said, “Me.”  His response was, “Not anymore!”  Its fun to share and I don’t mind as long as I am appreciatedJ.  For some reason, Seth’s comment brought a smile to my face, and I felt lovedJ.
Seth said his Spanish teacher is funny, “She calls her kids at home ‘little terrorists.’” 
            I brought home a fun new fruit called Jack Fruit.  When Adriel asked what it was, she felt like I was racist!  She heard me say, “Jap fruit.” 
Being the church librarian is so very, very fun.  I enjoy featuring books and asked Bobby if he thought I should highlight a specific text.  He said, “As long as you don’t get me fired.”  I show him the title, “When not to obey your parents.”  “No,” Bobby says, “Don’t feature that book.”  There are so many hilarious titles!  We also have, “How to make people like you when you know they don’t” and “Interviewing Your Daughters Date, eight steps to No Regrets.”
            Adriel can be very expressive and loud especially when she is gaming online with her friends.  Bobby doesn’t like the quietness shattered and mentioned that maybe we could spray her with water.  This is hilarious, and my imagination had a hay day.  I said, “No” because we all know Bobby would have way too much fun.
A little boy gave Adriel some marbles for Christmas last year.  It was a delightful way to show love.  When Adriel cleaned out her room, I donated the marbles to our church Sunday because there are toys for the kindergarten kids that use marbles.  I brought them to the Sunday school room, and the teacher said, “Now we can bring a certain toy out!”  Apparently, the toy had no marbles anymore.  The one person most excited about this was the little boy that gave the marbles in the first place!  I didn’t tell him where they came from, but I felt that Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." is genuinely modelled here.  We can’t out give God.  Also, this increases my faith; God owns everything – he cares for us.  He is in control and makes sure we are taken care of.  His timing is perfect. 
Bobby bought a new game, and it was enjoyable to play with him and Adriel.  One of my favourite things about the game is that Bobby knows the maker of the game.  Since we sometimes disagree on rules, it was super that Bobby could text the creator to resolve our differences.  It was great.  In life, we also have a mediator who is the creator.  I am reminded of prayer and how God can be our mediator as well.  Everything is better when we are in touch with our creator.
            Wasn’t the eclipse unusual?!!  My most significant thought was that, If the sun went dark when Jesus died – yes, that would get a lot of people’s attention!  The eclipse was a way bigger deal than I expected and I am glad.  It felt special to see God arrange the sun and moon that way; His power was displayed for all to see.  I am so happy our entire family woke up and was willing to gather at the church to view the eclipse from the grassy field.  Experiencing that with family and friends was fun.
Other highlights of the year are: Bobby is now ordained, my dad survived a mini-stroke, Adriel and the Marching Band won regionals in San Jose, Seth is now in High school, and we have a cat who chases balls, bells and darts.  Her name is Ripley.
May you find joy in those you encounter.  May you be so filled by God that you can fill others.  May you delight in this beautiful, incredible Christmas season.  Much Love,



Cristy and the VanKleeks



No comments:

Post a Comment