Monday, December 18, 2017

12/18/2017

Dear Family,

                Have you ever had good advice that you just didn’t take?  I have told one of my children over and over again to put the heat register where it belongs.  Adriel loves to crank up the heat, take the heat register out of the floor, place it aside, place her feet in there, add a blanket and just bask in the warmth that flows under her desk.  Ahhhh, but when she leaves the register cover to the side, the kitten can bat a ball, hair tie or paper clip down in there.  That is annoying.  Forever, things are lost.  There seemed to be no reason to obey until one day the kids couldn’t find the kitten.  They thought maybe she went down the register and would become a toasted piece of meat.  I believe there was panic.  But what could they do, they had to go to school.  So they went, and they worried.  No one knows if Ripley was in the depths of our house and came out – but one thing I do know – Ripley is in good health, and the register is placed back where it belongs every time.  Nothing like a little panic to help matters along.
                 Seth reminds me of myself.  He doesn’t care that much about clothes.  Every Sunday he wears the same black shirt and black shorts or pants.  Every Sunday.  I didn’t think much of it until last week when we wanted to match for a family picture.  We couldn’t have him wear that black shirt because he wore it in last year’s family picture.  I had him try on the other dressy clothes in his closet.  They were either not comfortable, Hawaiian print or too small.  Goodness!  I went and bought him five shirts.  Yeah – he has new clothes.  I had him wear one for pictures and then told him to please wear a new shirt to church.  He refused!  What is this!!  Someone gave me this advice when I was early married, “You need to dress nicer, so it looks like you are being taken care of.”  I told Seth of this, and he doesn’t care.  Sigh, comfort seems to be the only thing that matters to him.  He did wear a different shirt to Church that day – too bad for me it was also black with a collar – looks the same.  The joke is on me.  This reminds me of Johnny Cash or Ian Malcom (Jurassic park).
                Our whole family battles a cold.  I win over colds because I not only value sleep, but I relish it.  I can sleep well and long.  I also use preventative medicine; cold calm, cold Eze and Zicam.  The rest of the family – well, the kids were diagnosed with Asthma when they were little, so maybe that is a factor.  Bobby hates to sleep and feels like he is checking the clock every ten minutes.  Poor guy – so he did stay home Monday.  Adriel stayed home Tuesday – and both were miraculously better Thursday in time to go to the new Star Wars movie.  (They enjoyed this very much.)  Now they still have symptoms when they haven’t had enough sleep.  Adriel was very excited that on Saturday she was able to take a nap.  The whole family seems to be getting better – please continue to pray for our bodies to fight well and be healthy.
                Christmas carolling with the youth group was very fun.  I enjoyed being in Bobby’s team visiting Capitol manor.  Singing for people brings joy to both them and us.
                Love is giving the kitten to someone.  It’s fun to see Seth do this for us and it is fun to do it for him.  Our purr box is a gift we can give each other for a turn.    
Bobby and I enjoyed a lovely gift card to Bobby’s favourite restaurant to frequent with me (Orupa).  Bobby has a lot of favourite restaurants, but I can’t handle fat on any meat, so this is the place I complain about the least.  (Steakhouses are out.) The Serve-safe food managers training has ruined me for several other places.  Thanks Matt Torres J!
I enjoy watching Seth encounter any technology new or old.  I was able to get a free video camera (for Seth) from Buy Nothing West Salem, and Seth likes it J Yeah!!
Adriel had several Babysitting jobs to do, and it was lovely to know she enjoys the kids as much as they delight in her.
Bobby and I enjoyed a Christmas party with Deacons and pastors.  We gave each other fantastic food, and Pastor Marcus facilitated a gift of kind words.  It’s fun to feel all gooshy inside and to appreciate each other.  We also heard some of his vision and were encouraged to stay the course.  Delightful!
One of my favourite yearly practices is the night in Bethlehem.  It’s fun to have young and old experience the sights and sounds of Bethlehem.  There is also a spice shop, so some good smells as well (thank goodness not the bad smells).  I had a blast telling people (as a shepherd) about the glowing, floating man in the sky telling me about great news!  Hamming it up is a blast.
May you find this Christmas season brings pure joy and peace.  May you delight in the yummy foods people give.  May your hearts rejoice that Jesus cares so much about us.

Love and Hugs,




Cristy

No comments:

Post a Comment