Monday, August 7, 2023

8/7/23

 Dear Family,

 

            I usually do not watch suspense or horror movies.  This is because it has given me nightmares in the past.  When our 6th grade teacher showed us “Watchers in the Woods” I had nightmares for 2 months.  The 6th Sense was probably about 2 weeks when I was in my 20s but then I had to watch it a couple more times and it was just amazing after that.  When we put in “Signs” by M. Night Shyamalan I was hoping Seth would tame it down for me.  The opening had ominous music and I commented, “I don’t like this music.”  Seth said, “It’s literally just the credits Mom.”  In the first part of the movie, we don’t get to see the monster.  We are looking down at the main characters looking up on top of the roof.  I’m freaking out and say, “How did he get up there?  Is it the dog?”  Seth in a spooky voice, “Noooo, the cameraman.” 

Later in the movie, I said, “Ewwwww” when the man took a spiked fork out of the dead dog.  Seth, “They literally took it out of a doll.”  Later when the main character wakes up and there is an electrical cord stringing out that he’s just going to have to follow.  I said, “Ok, where does the cord lead to?  I’ll bite.”  This time it was Bobby, “Don’t electrocute yourself.”  Then we finally saw the alien and the character freaks out and jumps back.  Seth is in the background, “That is so cheap!  Are we supposed to be scared of that?  What is that?  A paper mâché puppet?  Man in a suit?”  Bobby pauses the movie to talk about how it was made 20 years ago.  Seth comments that “Aliens was made in the ’80s and had better creatures – they could have done better.”  We rewatch that scene, pause to get a good look at the monster and yes, when I look at it paused it was a sad-looking monster.  Seth’s end comment about that scene, “I’m so invested, and then it’s just that!” 

Then there is a grabbing scene and Bobby says, “You’re awfully quiet over there Seth.”  “Well, that wasn’t a bad scene.”  Bobby is glad he doesn’t make movies.  Seth would rip it apart in a heartbeat.  And I didn’t dream about that movie at all.  Yay.  It had a nice ending, a good resolution.  Watching movies with Seth gives such a different perspective.  I am glad he can help me through the scary ones.

Seth continues to help in the yard, and I am so blessed because I can be in the middle of a project when my time runs out.  I must go to work!  Seth is dependable to finish up and I am glad.

Bobby made yummy Shepherd’s pie and we enjoyed it for days.  Bobby was sad that his volunteer for hiking this week became ill.  He had to plan other events.  But it worked out and the youth had fun anyway.

Bobby continues attending parties and social events, which would be completely exhausting.  Sometimes I feel like he is an ambassador or... I don’t know.  Someone famous.  I am glad not to be.

Bobby did some weeding this week and I am blessed with his help.

Adriel and I have been enjoying some great conversations and texts.  She is encouraging and sweet.  She prompts me to do things that are good.  I am blessed. 

May you also encourage each other towards love and good deeds.  May you find joy in the tasks God has given you.  May you delight in God’s love and perfect timing.  Love and hugs,

 

 

 

Cristy

 

PS I found this amusing.  Bobby was the only pastor (out of 4) at the service yesterday.  So, he served communion.  That was fun.  I think he might be praying?  Their eyes are closed and everyone looks so somber.  



No comments:

Post a Comment