Monday, January 9, 2023

1/9/23

 Dear Family,

 

            Creating a being in your own image can be delightfully satisfying.  Bobby happily bought and showed “Spiderman No Way Home.”  Seth and I both commented several times how it was dumb and not a good movie.  Bobby was chagrined and said, “Everyone else in the world loves it.”  The biggest thing I learned from that movie is how the industry justified recycling a plot over and over again with the “Spiderman” theme.  Different realities.  Magic.  Time travel.  Dimension travel.  Give me a break.  How many times can we hear that “With great power comes . . . “  I like the idea enough to watch one movie with that plot not three or 6 recycled and then all coming together for some self-love.  And yes, I have not read the comic books.  Either way, it was super fun having the two vs. one vote.

            I asked Seth if he was planning on staying up till midnight on new year’s eve.  He asked, “Why in the world would I do that?”  I said, “Some people stay up to ring in the new year.”  He responded, “That’s ridiculous, I won’t miss out on sleep for that.”  I had to laugh and delight in how alike we are.  Someone once asked me, “Don’t you even stay up once a year?”  I responded, “No, I don’t torture myself even once a year.”

            Bobby felt a bit under the weather.  Yet he still powered thru the week.  Colds are not fun so please pray for him as his sinuses are needing to heal.

            Bobby cooked on Monday, Thursday, and Friday.  I truly enjoy packing leftovers as they are quick, easy, and yummy.  We have it so good! Refrigerators keep food cold and microwaves heat it up in minutes.  I am so glad to live in an age where all of life isn’t spent over a fire stove. 

            Middle school group was delightful.  They were glad to be together and encouraged each other while playing games.  The crowd oohed and aahed over each other’s progress and I like the mutual encouragement.   When we sat to do the lesson, Bobby noticed someone was wearing a retreat shirt and he said, “I like your shirt!”  I enjoyed watching the happy wiggle that followed. 

Bobby was announcing an ice-skating activity and said, “So n so is an expert ice skater.”  This brought confusion and, “No I’m not, this will be my first time.”  Bobby came back with, “Oh, your mom said you were excited to go.”  I think it was silly that Bobby got “expert ice skater” from excitement.  A bit of a jump.

            Later in the night, we learned about taking off the old self and putting on the new.  An application question involved thinking of two areas of life we could take off and leave behind.  One of Bobby’s examples was, “You could stop being mean to old people like Rich.”  A youth stood up for Rich, saying, “Yeah, stop roasting him.”  I am glad Rich doesn’t mind the old people jokes but also glad people want the best for him.

            Part of taking off the old in the lesson were socks that Bobby distributed and told everyone to take off their old socks.  This was a stinky endeavor and I told Bobby later at home I didn’t like that.  He said, “Well at least they will remember the lesson.”  I sighed and agreed.  Then out came, “Better than asking them to take off all their clothes for new ones.”  Yes, that would have definitely gone too far.

            The high school group was a sweet time of song and similar lesson.  This time they were only told they would get new socks IF they took off the old ones.  Much excitement was had over hot pink socks.  There was a pause though.  “Wait, are these socks used?”  When I said, “Put on the ‘new’” There was a happy “Aha” moment and joy abounded.

            Adriel moved this weekend.  I enjoyed being helpful.  I felt safe the entire time and am glad the part she is moving into a good part of town.  Portland is a busy, bustling place full of interesting people.  Adriel is growing and flying.  I am glad she isn’t too far away.

            May you delight where God leads you.  May you enjoy all you encounter.  May God give you peace when you need it and joy from the inside bubbling out.  May you follow His guidance and be glad you did.  Love and hugs,

 

 

 

 

 

Cristy



No comments:

Post a Comment