Monday, May 16, 2022

The most important decision you will ever make.

 Dear Family,

 

We were created for a purpose.  We are loved.  We are not our own.  You have a choice to make about your purpose and identity.  Commercials say, “Our product provides you with identity, wear or drink this and you will be identified with us which makes you as beautiful and fun-loving as these models.”  If our foundation and identity are in brand names we will feel empty.  God created us with a longing to worship and be led by Him.  When we choose to follow and obey God we are choosing to let go of selfishness.  The message puts it like this, “Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way.  Then you’ll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want.” 1 Peter 4:1b-2.

            God created us, gave us rules, and set the earth into motion.  Humans push the limit on rules.  Every religion, country, and sports game has to have stipulations for what happens when rules are broken because of how often humans break rules.  The Old Testament provides rules, blessings for following rules, and curses for breaking them.  The Old Testament points us to Jesus because rules don’t work on selfishness alone.  It seems humans can’t make good choices even when motivated by selfishness.  Blessings may be clearly laid out as consequences of good behavior but we still have to try ‘our way’ first.

            When Jesus came he paid the price for our past, present, and future sins.  “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”  Romans 5:8.  God showed us that forgiveness is divine.  He sent forth an example of forgiveness, sacrificial love, and how to make good choices. 

            When we accept Jesus' death as a substitution for the punishment we deserve we are set free from the slavery our nature has to making bad choices.  We may still choose unwise paths but we do not have to anymore. 

            When we choose Christ as who we identify with we are choosing to be a child of God.  The joy that comes from forgiveness creates a thankful heart.  A full thankful heart is the best motivator for making good choices.  When Jesus said, “15 “If you love me, you will obey my commandments. 16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another helper who will be with you forever. 17 That helper is the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it doesn’t see or know him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be in you.” (John 14:15-17 God’s Word Translation)

            Jesus not only gives us forgiveness which results in a full and thankful heart he sent the Holy Spirit to guide and direct our paths.  Having this foundation means we can truly fulfill our purpose in life.  “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10 New Living Translation.

            Choose to live life forgiven and for God.  It is the most important decision you will ever make over and over again.  (Sadly sin nature tries to crawl back to life and we do have to ask for forgiveness and recommit our lives daily – just like taking out the trash or defragmenting our hard drive.  Life can be messy.)

            This week at youth group I noticed some golden keys hanging from a youth's neck.  I couldn’t imagine those being house keys so I asked what they were.  His friend had to answer for him.  “Those keys are the keys to his soul which holds the weight of his sins.” 

            I enjoyed having lunch with Adriel.  She continues to push forward with her full-time job and full-time work.  I have never done that much in my life.  I have also never lived alone.  I am impressed by her independence and loving spirit.  I am amazed by her tenacity and beauty. 

            Watching a show with Seth baffles me and impresses me.  I can’t quite remember the jargon he uses but the gist I get are things like this: “Turn the sound up because audio levering is never consistent” (I think this means they didn’t make that particular scene loud enough).  “Why did they include that scene?  It has nothing to do with the plot development!”  “Whoever wrote that dialogue is a genius.”   He says other things but the gist of it is he is watching thru the eye of a producer.  He knows things I don’t and it’s delightful to hear smart things come out even if I don’t understand them.  Also when I am cringing about things he will point out to me, “You know that isn’t real right?”  I like that he is grown up.  I don’t have to worry about him having nightmares as I used to over scary scenes.

            Youth Sunday was truly enjoyable.  The teens did well greeting, singing, ushering, and serving in general.  Bobby’s sermon was fabulous and I had to chuckle when someone gushed about it but added, “Not that we expected anything otherwise, he always does a wonderful job.”

            After church, we went to Tapawingo for a meet and greet.  They are fundraising for the new dining lodge.  I expected to be bored but was delighted instead to feel so much love pouring out of Jane that it made me cry.  She was hoping I was OK but when I told her how beautiful it was that she can single people out for even a moment and pour God’s love onto them she felt seen and that created a moment.  I was impressed by a sign in their house that says it all.  “If you think our hands are full you should see our hearts.”

            So I leave you with this.  May you be so filled by God’s love, forgiveness, and joy that it spills out onto others.  “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Ephesians 4:4-7 NIV)

            Much Love :-) Cristy




No comments:

Post a Comment