Monday, May 8, 2023

5/8/23

 Dear Family,

 

                Time to decompress is so important.  I was glad to have Monday evening with Bobby.  Last week we were out most nights, and it was enjoyable, but I was tired.  God is good 😊 I am glad for days or evenings off.

                Bobby mowed the lawn before the rain came.  It was amazing that it only took one battery (instead of the 3 it can take when the lawn is still wet and long).   

                We enjoyed a quick visit on the first of the month.  One youth chose to ring the doorbell and then get Bobby with, “Rabbits.”  How fun! 

                Middle school group had some hilarious entertainment during game times.  Bobby believes he has pastor privilege when it comes to being the rule maker, umpire, and general person who makes things happen.  When someone was frustrated with how a game was going Bobby asked, “Is your name umpire?”  Another random person had to say, “Well, technically, Bobby’s name isn’t umpire either.”

                Someone gifted the youth group with unicorn marshmallows.  Bobby had a game where four volunteers lay down, licked a marshmallow, and stuck it to their foreheads.    The goal was to see how high they could stack the marshmallows.  Several people became jealous and said, “I want to be a unicorn!”  Bobby invited all who wanted to lie down to go ahead, there were plenty of marshmallows to go around.  Boom, most of the youth were now lying down.  It was funny to see.



                High school group had so much laughter I enjoyed watching the youth doubled over.  They bring amazing humor with them, and I love the interactions.  Here are some of the things we laughed about.  When some asked for water I mentioned there are plastic cups by the sink and, “You can name the cups if you want.”  One youth announced, “I name this cup Jarrod.”  Another announced, “I name this cup Billy Bob.” 

                The lesson was about how the saying or thought that “Bad things don’t happen to good people” is not in the Bible.  An example Bobby brought up was, “Say someone did something really bad and then got into a car accident.  What would you call that?”  This was supposed to bring up Karma, but the kids jokingly agreed that this was a “Skill issue.” 

                Another concept about this is, “What is your definition of good?”  We all want to declare ourselves good, Well, at least better than Hitler.  One student shot out with, “I am good according to the US law.”  Another, “Have you ever pirated something?  Be honest.”  The first then smiled and said, “I am pretty OK according to the US law.”  In all reality, Romans 3:10 is spot on when it says, “There is no one righteous, not even one.” 

                Another example was how doing the right thing can get you into trouble.  Paul and Silas were put into jail because they cast a demon out of a girl who made her owner’s money.  This brought up how God lets bad things happen and sometimes good comes out of it.  There was an earthquake and the jailer thought everyone had run away.  He was about to kill himself . . . but Bobby forgot to mention that, so I interjected with, what was the jailer doing?  This brought up sword placement (he has a sword to his mouth, no to his belly) and then erupted when someone said, “He was taking a toaster bath.” 

                In the end, the jailer and his family found faith in God through that hardship.  God works in ways we don’t expect.  There is Job, Hosea, Jonah, and more.  There are stories that include plot twists, things that seem so wrong and yet end up so amazingly right.  Joseph, Moses, and David to name a few.

                Thursday, I enjoyed time with a friend and an amazing deep conversation with humor mixed in.  How delightful it is to share life with friends and help each other grow.

                Friday Bobby and I enjoyed our time at Pho Keizer.  We had fun conversation, fabulous food, and a great atmosphere.  I love date nights.  We are happy to be together and that is lovely. 

                Saturday, I picked up Adriel in Portland to bring her to Ryland’s graduation party.  We had time to thrift store shop, so we went to a couple.  I enjoyed Adriel’s excitement and that she drives for us.  Our conversation was enlightening, and I love finding out how she thinks.  It’s fabulous how smart she is.  Being at the party was great!  How wonderful to be in a place we are so loved celebrating such a great accomplishment.  Yay, Ryland. 

                Seth also came to the party, and I was glad to see him.  He is so fun to be around, and I love his smile.  Seth also cleaned the bathroom this week and I am glad he chips in.  I’ll admit I did ask him to pray while he was on the computer.  I happened to have a silly mask on so when he did look at me, we had a chuckle.  I am glad we have fun.

                May you also find joy in relating to those you love.  May you give and find out that gift multiplied and has helped in more ways than you could have imagined.  May you delight in God and his creation.  Much love,

 

 

 

 

Cristy

No comments:

Post a Comment