Monday, April 3, 2023

Happy Birthday Adriel!!

Dear Family,

 

            Every year rain or shine I am blessed when the youth group comes to help spread bark dust.  It’s a big job for just me, but for us all, it is a pleasure.  I am so glad when the community bands together to accomplish a task.  I can’t describe to you the joy our youth brought as they were willing to carry and dump bark dust repeatedly in the rain.  Their excitement was only heightened each time someone new joined.  They were so glad to see each other.  It was just like youth group.  The greetings were infectious with delight.  One even had an epiphany during the several hours they worked, “I have decided to help with VBS.”  His friend exclaimed with delight, “Yes!”  The fun continued with a game, Kinect Adventures.  Their enthusiasm peaked again as they took turns and battled for the best score.  Pizza gave them a break and then, “Apples to Apples” rounded off for a fabulous day.  Youth group kids are our fountain of youth.  If we never look old, it’s because of them.



            One silly part, a boy insisted he really wanted to shed his itchy pants once inside the home.  He feels very comfortable with us that’s for sure.  He really didn’t see the need for pants even though I’m a lady.  We convinced him to wear a pair of Seth’s drawstring pants. 

            Community coming together doesn’t just accomplish a goal it bonds our hearts together.  Bobby and 13 others joined to help Pastor Marcus move out of his house.  I was amazed to hear it only took 2.5 hours.  Wow!  Good job!

            Seth helped with bark dust and found the kids interesting as well.  He was fabulous and I am blessed with his hard work.

            Because it is Spring break the youth group had a games day instead of the regular youth group on Wednesday.  We enjoyed many games, and my two favorite quotes will follow with some explanation.  We talked about how I eat chips and Cheetos with a spoon because I don’t want messy fingers.  A young man said, “I have God’s napkin!”  He then proceeded to lick his fingers, “My tongue.”  The next quote was from another young man during the game of things.  The question was, “Things that would surprise you if it didn’t happen.”  One person wrote, “Not growing physically.”  He answered the inquiry, “Was it you who wrote that?” With another favorite quote, “Yes, it’s obvious?”  And I thought that was quite adorable because it is obvious when the youth haven’t hit their growth spurt yet. 

Bobby’s favorite apples-to-apples moment was when the green card we all had to match was, “Wee: ‘small, tiny.’”  He guessed mine which was "speed bumps".  As he was walking away, I did have to tell the kids, “I used to love flying over speed bumps but that’s a bad idea, parts fall off your car.”  It was amazing how fast the time went.  Three hours, blip.  And that is life!

            Celebrating Adriel’s Birthday at “JoJo’s Restaurant” in Portland was really yummy!  Adriel has matured so much and my heart was so full being with her and my parents.  I can’t describe how much love we packed into the couple of hours we were together. 

            May you find time with others to be meaningful as well.  May your joy be complete when you interact with people.  May God fill your hearts that you might fill others.  Much love,

 

 

Cristy  

P.S. My heart was filled again during Palm Sunday.  Whenever our little ones sing up front I cry tears of joy because that's what spills out when my heart overfills. 

    I did notice during the communion speech about this being a celebration and remembrance of belief (so only take this if you are a believer, no one is judging, this is a safe place . . . ) that several deacons had weird quizzical faces.  I asked Bobby what that was about and he said it looked like there might not be enough communion to go around.  I mentioned to Seth that dad and I would refrain even if it made us look like unbelievers because we were concerned the crackers might run out.  His response was to agree that he would refrain as well with, “I wear sandals to church, you can obviously tell I don’t care what others think.”  So we didn't take the bread and I pretended when it was time to Seth saying, "Really?" and me giggling.  We did notice that there was some leftover so we did take the grape juice.  I had to chuckle when Bobby told me someone did ask about us not taking the bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment