Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Christmas letter 2020 = Year overview and Best of.

 

Merry Christmas friends and family,

 

            WOW, this year brought more hardship for everyone than I could have imagined.  We had a pandemic, fires, political unrest, and ever-changing laws.  I used to take clear skies for granted.  Did you? 

            This year I saw Bobby bending over backward to make youth group work.  And he was successful.  Zoom meetings worked for a while, then they didn’t.  Games and activities were created with social distancing in mind.  Church remains compliant. Yay!

            Adriel’s second year of college was not fun but she is surviving.

            Seth enjoys a socially distant Senior year of High school and will graduate happily.

            Visits were different.  Less travel and even when we did drive there were fewer hugs.  Volunteer work changed – sometimes places were closed so I could not volunteer. 

            The greatest feeling of all is a desperate desire to get back to normal.  The world awaits not just for Jesus' arrival – wouldn’t that be amazing – but for a vaccine – or a cure – or germs to be ignored like we used to.

            Meanwhile, on a lighter subject – here are the interesting tidbits, the funnies of our year.  I truly enjoy reminiscing and picking out the best. 

            Bobby’s best friend Rich came over to play board games with us.  About half an hour into it he wondered out loud, “Where is Seth?”  “Rich, he’s right behind you at the computer”.  “No!  Was he there when we got here?”  “Yes, Seth has been here the whole time.”  I have to laugh – that’s how it is.  Seth is quiet.

            ‘Sneaker Cell Comedian’ is my friend’s definition of Seth.  You may not know he is there.  He was listening to every word.  Out comes a hilarious comment spot on in the conversation.  Bobby was warning us for the third time to be careful of bones in the soup while we ate.  Seth made a loud choking sound – it was perfect!

            Seth played a game with the youth group and he played so brilliantly I was impressed.  Isn’t it fun when we see our children shine?  They, on the other hand, find us embarrassing.  Sometimes I hiss at the cat if she is on the counter.  Seth said, “Every time you do that a bit of me dies inside.”

            Bobby destroyed a wasp nest and dealt with about 5 wasps rolling around on top of the roof.  It was scary to watch.  He stomped away in a fury of excitement and adrenaline.  I am thankful he did not fall off the roof. 

            Bobby and I enjoyed several in the house date nights.  (Pandemic style.)  We are blessed to have a roof over our heads, good health, and the knowledge that heaven is going to be so much better.

            I was walking in the park and Adriel came up from behind to tap me on the shoulder.  It was nice to walk with her a bit.  She is sweet and kind.  I enjoy her company.  Adriel also made some yummy food and shared it with me.  How fun!

Adriel didn’t know Seth hates pineapple on Pizza.  He firmly holds to the belief that pineapple on pizza could be the destruction of our world.  Adriel’s rebuttal, “Pineapple on pizza is a gift from God.”

Seth mentioned that I have bought way too many spatulas.  I mentioned that I have stopped this purchasing spree.  “Stores are closed.  Seth”.  He was frustrated and said, “It shouldn’t take a Global Pandemic for you to stop overbuying stuff mom!”

            I set an alarm three times a day weekly to remind myself to Love, Worship, and Matter because I am reading a book called, “High Performance Habits,” by Brendon Burchard.   I want to be purposeful about my life.  It went off while the family was eating together and I mentioned it.  They asked how I am doing on these goals and I said, “Well, I’m loving you . . . ,“ Someone piped in that I do devotions in the morning so I worshiped today.  Adriel came in with, “You matter, you will do dishes later.”

In June I enjoyed watching Bobby thrive with a group of Junior High students.  We sat outside on our beach towels and he did a short lesson.  There were water fights, s’mores, kickball, and Frisbee games.  The kids did not want to go home.  Everyone had fun and we needed that.  How we desperately need to be face to face.  I am so thankful for what we once took for granted! 

Adriel was frustrated that food disappears.  I mentioned that one family member is growing so it’s OK for him to eat more than her.  Adriel insisted she is growing too.  She stood where we have measured their height for years.  (Yes, in pen on the wall.)  I put my fingers where her height was.  Adriel turned and looked.  She has not grown in four years.  Since she was fifteen.  This might be her total height.  Adriel was sad. 

Seth on the other hand could not resist.  “Remember when you bragged about being taller than me?  That didn’t last long.”

            In the Bothell area, Bobby was chagrined that he forgot his mask.  At first, he was borrowing a light teal one.  Lucky for him I had borrowed a star wars mask earlier and found it tucked in my coat pocket.  His words of appreciation, “Now I feel like a man.” 

Bobby led wonderful Thanksgiving lessons for each youth group (Middle and High School).  Seth and Bobby both mentioned how they enjoyed it.  Rich cheated for each game.  Seth said, “He was disqualified 5 minutes into it.”  Thankfulness was the theme.  Bobby had 10 sticky notes for people to write on.  The goal was to write, run, and stick it on the wall, run back make another and run to the wall again.  Whoever was the fastest won.  There was joy, excitement, and a beautiful sticky note collage of things we are thankful for in the end.  This is the secret to feeling good.  Remembering what we are thankful for, getting up, letting everyone know, and remembering again.

Although this year was hard it is almost over.  Things can only get better right?  May you find peace knowing that God is in control and he loves us.  Merry Christmas!

 

 

Love the VanKleeks

Cristyvankleek.com



No comments:

Post a Comment