Monday, November 13, 2017

11/13/17

Dear family,
Two things affected me profoundly this week.  At youth group, Bobby asked people to give five words to describe themselves and then we would guess who each person was.  People got into this which surprised Bobby.  In all reality, we want to be known.  One thin young man – short in stature and probably only 11 years old described himself as a fierce warrior.  I did not see this but then heard he takes karate.  How I wish I had taken Karate – and I had made Seth!  I think I still can.  I sure want someone in my family to describe themselves as a fierce warrior.  That is so cool!
Thursday was a Veterans Day assembly at Claggett Creek Middle school where I work.  Before breakfast, one of my lunch servers asked if I wanted to see a picture of her mom in the army.  I have a soft spot for young people who choose to volunteer to serve lunch.  I said, “Yes.”  She showed me a picture of her mom with a group and then her mom in uniform.  I asked, “Is she deployed now?”  When this sweet little girl said, “She’s gone.”  I asked, “Is she dead?”  And, “Yes, she is.”  I mentioned how both were beautiful and I was glad she had shown me the pictures.  I went to work more in the back as I cried.  There is a sweet young girl living without her mom right now, and this is why I will remember never to say Happy Veteran's Day.  I know that something good will come of this.  I believe this young woman will be stronger because her mother died and I hope her father found someone to help raise this beautiful young woman.
            Bobby is now ordained.  It was a very cerebral process.  I didn’t see the point at first, but I do now.  Bobby took the time to write down everything he believes and then he had to defend that.  Other pastors asked him defining questions, gave him affirmation and made him add verses to prove what he said.  It was hard on Bobby, but it was good.  Like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon, Bobby is a stronger person now, and that was cool to watch.
Bobby also cooked several meals, and lead home group.  He continues to be nice and make the bed.  I am glad Bobby is living and growing, continuing to breathe and bring meaning into our lives.  Bobby also thanked me for helping out at youth group which is sweet and endearing.
Adriel and Seth both work hard to continue to keep their grades up and help with chores.  They both also attend youth group and have been quite sweet to each other this week.
Seth mowed the lawn, and I am delighted that he can do this.
Adriel was very cuddly at home group, and Seth leaned in a bit.  I enjoy their public affection even though they confessed utter boredom later.
Adriel sent a very loving text and has been very sweet.  She did crunch a parked car a little and may have to pay for damages (after insurance).  She is glad not to be yelled at and to be covered by insurance and to be loved. 
May you find joy as you remember all you are thankful for.  May you know that even the hard times are used to refine us.  Much Love,



Cristy

3 comments:

  1. So good to hear your ups and downs this week. Congratulations to Bobby for his ordination. That is really, really big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your writing.
    Today I am in a very nostalgic mood. The Carpenters Christmas album is playing. Do you remember them? Karen Carpenter was one of our very favorite singers.

    ReplyDelete