Monday, October 30, 2017

10/30/17

Dear Family,

            The biggest excitement of my week includes holding something soft and wondering what in the world it was.  3:30 AM, I got up out of bed (as usual).  In the dark, I noticed something small at the side of our bed.  I picked it up and felt it.  It was soft and oval shaped and I rubbed my thumb on it wondering what I had put there???  Clothes weren’t that shape and then - I knew it - and gasped.  Guess what I was holding! . . . . . It was a dead mouse!  Little tail and all. 
            Here are the things I am glad about even though I was quite shaken.  At 6 months old Ripley (our kitten) is doing her job, yeah!  She didn’t put the mouse in my mouth in the middle of the night.  She left it out of our bed.  There was no blood or mess anywhere.  And biggest of all – it was truly dead, not half dead because that would have been traumatic for me to hold.  So, thanks God – for all that.  Thanks so very much!
            I am a true fan of decluttering.  I support this by selling anything the kids don’t want any more.  This way the item is truly gone and they can feel like it’s in a better place.  I mentioned to Adriel that an item sold and she said, “Sweet, how much did I get?”  When she heard she is only $2.50 richer she groaned and said, “At last, we can retire and give up this life of crime.” (A Serenity quote).  Yeah, it wasn’t much.  When I mentioned the things that sold she said, “I put one of those in the garbage.”  - True, when she cleans she can put 3 garbage bags in the hall full of things that are supposed to be mine, the kitchens etc.  So I have to go thru that.  Either way this makes me think of how God redeems us – others may think we aren’t worth anything but God swooped in, saved us from eternal punishment and paid the price for us.  1 Corinthians 6: 19 “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your bodies.”  This frees us up, out of gratitude, to do good things.  Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”  We might not feel like we are worth much but God sees us differently.  He takes us out of the garbage, gives us new life and then we can be useful again.
            Adriel is now part of National Honor Society.  We don’t know quite what to make of this “Prestigious club.”  It is true that there weren’t that many people inducted.  It’s also true that this will help her get scholarships.  If there is money in it for us – we are happy for her.  She was OK about it enough to go – well, she wants to be a Dr. so anything that helps with school is good.
            The West Salem Marching Band is the hardest working group I know of.  Truly, those 12 hour days during the summer pay off.  Everywhere they go, they win.  They went to San Jose this weekend and won again.  I am never surprised.  No one else is devoted enough to put their entire lives on hold year after year.  I am simply glad the long trips will be all over in a week.
            Thursday night was home group and the teens all stayed for the Bible study time!  Seth included!  I loved it!  They grew up and now consider themselves old enough to not go play in a bedroom.  Yeah!! 
            Bobby is so very proud of Seth because Seth has taken after Bobby in one area.  They are smart.  Seth was absent on Friday because he was sick and he missed a test.  Monday Seth was able to take the test and do well.  Bobby mentioned that Seth didn’t even study but still did well.  Seth kind of smiled.  Bobby said, “You could have studied couldn’t you?”  We heard a shy, “Yeah” and saw an even bigger smile.
            Seth mowed the lawn on Saturday even though it just felt like yesterday he mowed it last.  He has decided that he wants to live in a van just so he doesn’t have to mow a lawn.  I told him that’s a great idea, he just has to get a gym membership for showers.  I remember being a teen and wanting to live in Africa.  I was excited about dirt floors because then I would never have to sweep.
            Several things I love about Seth.  He is always good for a begrudging hug and an, “I love you.”  It’s nice to have that daily connection.  I also love watching him with our kitten.  He is usually quite gentle and they are adorable together.
            Bobby cooked several nice meals and it was fun having the High School group over on Saturday.  We watched Princess Bride, talked about God a bit and ate fun food. 
            I also love that Bobby goes to his friend’s house to watch football.  They enjoy each other’s company and I enjoy the silence. 
            May you find joy in each and every good thing in your life.  May your every breath be a testimony that we are still alive, doing good enough and loving those around us.  May you rejoice in the beauty that God has surrounded us with.

Hugs,


Cristy

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete