Monday, September 28, 2026

9/28/26

 

Dear family,

 

               Having regular youth group start up again has been a breath of fresh air.  We may have met some during the summer but those were activities. I appreciate lessons with fill-in-the blanks the most.

               The middle schoolers were so delightful. And wouldn’t you know it but we had a majority of girls this Tuesday! How fun. Bobby mentioned we might have to have pizza if we got 20 or more boys to come.

               The lesson was about seeing people and not labels. Jesus sees what others overlook and he cares about our hearts. The story was about a Pharisee named Simon having Jesus over but then an un-named woman with a shameful reputation came along to give a L _ _ _ _ _ gift (jar of perfume). One student came up with Llllexpensive? That made me laugh since they made it start with an L but – it really didn’t fit.

               The high school group is always so much more subdued, and I am completely fine with that. Well, it was funny . . . Bobby mentioned that we sometimes label people by what they are wearing. They could have a scraggly beard, be old and have long white hair. What might you think about them? One student piped up with, “We might assume they are homeless BUT in fact, if they were wearing a robe, they could be a wizard. That’s why you can’t trust the homeless. They could be a wizard in disguise!” This type of ridiculous logic is quite entertaining to me.

               Later, during the fill-in-the-blanks, the same L _ _ _ _ _ gift was being pondered. When Bobby said, “Lavish” a student was so frustrated, “Ahhh, What?!! Luxury fits!!” And it would have but alas, that was not the word Bobby had preplanned. Meanwhile other blanks were being filled in rapid fire and our student was getting frustrated. Why don’t you call on me?!” So Bobby said, “Fine, you can fill in the last blank, it’s the only one left.” At this point the student was in despair. “That’s the only one I don’t know. Bobby!” Drama, it makes life fun.

               We may have only had three girls during our high school group but they were lovely just the same. As I was getting ready to walk home I donned a bright yellow reflective safety vest. I mentioned, “I bet you all are so jealous of this lovely vest.” “Oh, we are jealous. We are jealous that you have enough self confidence to wear it.” I’ve never been a fashionista 😉. Self confidence, Yes, I definitely have that. I also have a desire not to be run over.

               Seth has been super helpful this week and I feel closer to him than ever. We have been talking more, and I am blessed that he has such a sweet, kind heart.

               Adriel has also been a blessing in her willingness to chat on the phone for several lunch breaks a week. It’s fun to hear about her life and it’s lovely that she wants to know about mine.

               I must also say that the store Reboot on Center Street was a blessing this week for me as well. They took my dying old iPhone XS, gave it a new battery, screen and charge port. It wasn’t too expensive ($135) and I love my newly refurbished phone.

               During Sunday School we played my new favorite game, “The Bible Is Funny Card Game.” I was laughing so hard tears were running down my face. The game is like apples to apples except there are scenarios – like, “Instead of saying ‘My pleasure’ what should a Chick-Filet” employee reply when you have just said, ‘thank you.’” The verses are so ridiculous but my favorite by far was, Psalm 63:6, “On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.” When one student said, “What? That is what they say to me when I go there.” I about lost it.

               Prayer requests also have their own funny nuance. One student has a cut on their foot and a wart on it. When Rich started asking clarifying questions, “How is that possible?” Bobby then said, “You can show Rich later.” Nooo this would not work as Rich hates germs and anything that could be contagious. Instead, Rich mentioned the student could show Cristy since she, “Likes feet so much.” Blech – this is NOT true, but the student didn’t know about how much I can’t stand feet, so I just heard, “What? That’s so weird!?”

               May you also find hidden gems in your town. May you feel excited to try new things, glad to be with those you love and refreshed as you do all the tasks God has you do.

 

               Love and hugs, Cristy

No comments:

Post a Comment