Monday, September 14, 2020

9/14/2020 Oregon is burning

 

Dear Family,

            Please pray with me for the small creatures affected by the smoke.  The birds, squirrels, cats, and dogs.  I can go inside, purify the air with a crockpot and be OK.  Those poor little guys don’t have that choice.  Well, the birds can fly but what about the beautiful deer, cougars, foxes, and wildlife.  Oh Lord, please protect them.  And the humans who have no houses.  We thought we had a homeless problem before this?  Goodness.

            One of my mom’s favorite verses in Habakkuk sums it all up, “17 Though the fig tree does not bud and no fruit is on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though the sheep are cut off from the fold and no cattle are in the stalls, 18 yet I will exult in the LORD; I will rejoice in the God of my salvation!  True faith is knowing that this world is not the end, it is the testing grounds.  There is no reason to expect ease on earth.  This verse sums it up, “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.  2 Timothy 3:12 

            I have wondered why my life is so easy.  With verses like that in the Bible . . . what do I expect?

            Yet here I am, blessed indeed.  Labor day, Bobby and I bought a car.  The mini had enough issues.  Bobby refrained from visiting people far away because he was concerned the Mini would not make it. 

            Bobby cooked three meals this week.  He had his annual staycation and enjoyed making food from “scratch.”  This is in opposition to a recipe my friend thanked me for on Facebook.  Lunch lady enchiladas are frozen bean and cheese burritos covered with Enchilada sauce and cheese.  Super easy and people loved it.  Bobby, Seth, and Adriel on the other hand have scorned this recipe.  I laughed at the internet sensation.  Bobby had to make them his way just to keep sane.  Yum!  I love both recipes!

            Bobby and I were blessed to be part of the El Vaquero Restaurant opening in Keizer.  I love the owners and have enjoyed working with them.  They are wonderful people and the food is amazing.

            Seth was surprised at the orange sky this week.  The smoke has been so bad it’s been beautiful.  He said, “This is worse than any computer game I have ever played.”  There you have it, folks.  Dystopic game developers couldn’t make something as eerie as reality.  This fills hearts with uncertainty, angst, fear, and sadness.  Yet we serve an almighty, all-powerful ever-present God who comforts us in times of trial.  We are loved and can hide in the shadow of His wing.  This is not our home, we are only here for a short time.

            Seth has continued to pull weeds and I am grateful.

            As Seth plays online games we hear the most interesting utterances.  His soul shines forth and we smile.  “I don’t know how to make snow except to pray.  It’s worked better than anything else I have ever tried.”  I love our son.

            Adriel has enjoyed bringing friends over.  She is very sweet and so are they.  She continues to gift me with one hug a day and I am blessed.

            As I write this please pray with us for Bobby’s mom and sister.  They fled home from the fires and were staying with friends in Hillsboro.  Thankfully they were able to return home Sunday. 

            May you find joy in your heart because that’s where love starts.  May your smile brighten the room and make flowers bloom.  May you feel God's love like a bright warm hug.  And may you know deep down God is watching our towns.

Much love, many hugs! 

 

 

Cristy

No filter used on picture



No comments:

Post a Comment