Monday, August 20, 2018

8/20/18 Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart. 1Sam 16;7

Dear Family,

After a sermon like that – what can I say?  This Sunday the sermon was about looking into the heart and not judging by outward appearances.  Pastor Marcus even said we shouldn’t be complementing our daughters for being beautiful and our sons for being strong!  What a dilemma!  I am glad for both of those things in my kids.  Faith is so internal – I am so very glad my kids have evidence of faith; both serve in the church, and I love that.  Their hearts?  My heart?  God knows – and I am not supposed to judge others – uhhhh.  I have my normal list of blessings, and I will write the normal, but for now, I am wondering – how can I value the faith in those I know when it is not as visible as other things.  How can I show my faith to those around me that they might desire their faith to grow?
I did read a book this week called, “The Mysterious Presence” by Christopher P.N. Maselli.  
In this book, I was happy to read of a group of teens that prayed together, worshiped God together and fought dark forces together.  One character was envious of their friend’s faith.  I liked that book – yet they were in peril – they talked about faith.  They were on the front lines.  They encouraged each other with verses (YES, this book is going in our church library).  Our lives seem mundane compared to that.  Or are they?  “Our fight is not against flesh and blood” Ephesians 6:12 – there is a war going on for hearts.  Am I in the fight or not?  These are the burning questions I will continue to ponder.  Pray with me for wisdom please as I desire to grow my kid's faith but feel like my time is pretty much up.  They are teens – listening to a parent isn’t their priority anymore, they have so many other items vying for their attention.
Case in point – Adriel – I am amazed at her ability to endure grilling hours of marching band as she juggles her work schedule and makes time for friends and gaming (on her computer).  Adriel is a great friend who listens and cares deeply for those she has known since kindergarten.  She works hard and her job and is needed there.  She was able to change some hours around and work it so she can do some more time for marching band.  I know something has to give (right!?) she did tell a story about how she quietly slipped behind a piano (during the 12 hour marching band days) and had a nap during sectionals.  The didn’t miss her, and she was refreshed.  I think it’s a blessing to be able to sleep anywhere like that.  I also can sleep through loudness, and I’m tickled Adriel has this talent.  (As long as she doesn’t fall asleep during class or driving – that would be a different story.)
Seth is such a content person.  He is glad he has several computer classes this year in school.  He would love never to learn to drive.  This thinking is something we disagree with.  We have forced him to read his permit book by saying he can’t do screen time till he has read for an hour and taken a practice test online.  This week he improved his score from %50 to %85.  I think we will make him get his permit next week.  How fun and exciting – for us.  Not for him – but I am sure he will be glad to have this skill under his belt later in life.  We need him to drive us to the hospital if we fall and can’t get up.
Bobby was very pleased several times this week.  He enjoyed messy kickball and hosing people down afterward.  He was surprised by joy when several people from the youth group were with him at Sonic enjoying shakes.  A man pulled up, said, “You like money right?”  Threw something at them and then drove away.  Bobby walked over and scooped up 9 $100 bills.  Since there were seven people with Bobby, he gave each person $100!  There was $100 extra, so the youth group even got $100.  It could have been you – if you had been there you would have gotten that extra $100. 
Bobby also made several meals this week and was delighted with a green sauce he made from scratch.  It was too spicy for me, but Adriel, Seth and Bobby liked it.  It’s cute to see him so proud of himself.  Bobby was also very happy to interact with a great many people as he played Fortnite that’s where a lot of teens are during these hot days of summer.

May you respond to God in such a way that your faith shines before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16b)  May you enjoy the love God pours out on us in abundance.  May you be glad and rejoice in all you encounter.  Much Love, Cristy

No comments:

Post a Comment