Monday, October 9, 2017

10/9/2017

Dear Family,
                What a blessing it is to be able to minister to others and enjoy it!  Even though Bobby and I were leery of my new role as a helper in youth group it’s working out!  I have learned not to try and take over youth group.  I have learned the joy of submission and the joy of NOT being in control.  This I did not learn from home.  I learned this from four years of being a substitute in many different kitchens.  I learned that each leader has her own style and it’s OK.  I can let go and just be there to help.
                Because I am “Just there to help” at youth group, I am able to listen better and I am hearing new things.  Whenever we asked Bobby as a family for stories of his childhood he would normally draw a blank.  Yet, he is telling stories to the youth group and they don’t even ask for this.  I never knew he was held at knifepoint in high school.  I never knew he was hurt during floor hockey in PE.  These stories are interesting to me and I only hear them because I am listening.  How fun – I am getting to know my husband even better.
                Bobby enjoys visiting his mom and Sister every so often.  I am blessed because while he is there he can send my love and bring back news of how they are doing.
                Our kids are wonderful and fun.  I love it when they pray with me.  I enjoyed a robust welcome on Monday when Adriel came home with a hug.  Because I feel like something inside me dies when I spend hours clothes shopping with Adriel (Soooooo boring!) I am very glad she can now drive a friend and go clothes shopping with her friend. 
                Adriel’s marching band had a turf double booked so they had to practice on Thursday instead of Wednesday.  Yeah, she was able to go to youth group!  It’s wonderful to know she also went to the leadership meeting Sunday.  I love that church attendance is part of my kid's lives.
                As the new church librarian, I am enjoying arranging the books into a more theme like arrangement including, “Parenting” and “Marriage.”  Also, I am moving books around so that there is more space for newer books.  As I was bringing many books down a shelf Pastor Denny was talking with me.  I encountered a children’s book (It said ages 5-8) in with the adult ones.  It was entitled “Before I was Born”  (https://www.amazon.com/Before-Was-Born-Gods-Design/dp/1600060145).  I handed it to Mr Denny and said, “Do you think this belongs in the children’s section?”  As I continued to shelve books I hear this, “Woah!  Yes, leave this in the Adults section.”  I said, “I’ll put it in parenting” and brought it home along with a bag of other books I was going to Dewey as “301.427 Parenting.”  At home I read the book and there is a picture of a spread-eagled woman with a baby coming out of her legs!  This, I find hilarious!  I had to show the kids.  Seth heard my laughter and refused.  Adriel, on the other hand, was willing to read a children’s book and said, “Mom, who would ever show this to their kids?!”  Oh, family, clearly written on the check out card is a friend of ours.  Adriel had to laugh – knowing the exact date her friend’s childhood was changed forever.  I mentioned this to the mom at women’s retreat and she said, “Yes, after reading this to my daughter, she said, “Mom why would you and dad ever do something so disgusting?” 
Being the church librarian is so very, very fun.  I enjoy featuring books and asked Bobby if he thought I should feature a certain book.  He said, “As long as you don’t get me fired.”  I show him the title, “When not to obey your parents.”  “No,” Bobby says, “Don’t feature that book.”  There are so many fun titles!  I don’t have to read these, they were already in our library, the titles are hilarious!
Seth continues to be a wonderful, peaceful presence.  He asks for a kitten and I brought one to his chest.  I love the broad grin that he can’t help but have when Ripley started purring. 
Seth mowed the lawn this week and it was a true blessing.  I love that he is willing to do what he is told to do.
While I was away at women’s camp Seth was in charge of keeping the kitten's water full.  He did a great job and they are blessed.
This truly is a time of peace and blessing in our house.  I rejoice that we are done with diapers, we are done with figuring out marriage duties, we have done the hard work and are enjoying blessings of peace and bounty – we even still get raspberries from the vine!  Because God has filled us we are able to go out and fill others out of His abundance.  May you feel the peace only God can give.
There is even a student at school that shakes his head about me.  He says, “No one can be that happy!”  I told him, “I have Jesus swimming around in my heart and I am in love.”  This young man still just shakes his head. 

May God fill your heart as He has filled mine.  Much love J Cristy

No comments:

Post a Comment